Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Design modifications, legs, hardware

Since my last post, we've made some modifications to the design in SketchUp such as increasing the height. We're also going to use "two-by" material for the apron backer instead of "one-by." The bench will now be a split-top with 2" between the two top boards, necessitating eight cap screw holes in the top instead of six (two on each end of each top board).

The glue on the legs was given too much time to dry before cleaning up, so the messy edges were shaved on the rip saw. I used a stacked dado set on the table saw to make the notches in the legs for the lower cross braces. I cut and milled the upper ends, lower cross braces, and top leg braces to size.

I have acquired the cap screws, washers, and nut plates, and I've also purchased four Gramercy Holdfasts.

The legs need to be assembled next. I have dog holes drilled in one apron, but many holes are left to drill in the other apron and the two top boards.






No comments:

Post a Comment